It’s been a while since I posted a Quick Hits so we’ve got a lot of ground to cover. Hereâ€™s what Iâ€™ve come across in Metropolitan Development Commission and Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission filings as of 10/24/11 (click links to read staff reports on these cases):
1. Board of Zoning Appeals 10/11/11 – As previously reported, a Jack in the Box restaurant is proposed for a site at 1521 N Meridian St. A rendering and siteplan were included with the staff report this time, but the case was again continued to the next hearing on 11/15/11. On 10/13/11, a related case was also continued by the Regional Center Hearing Examiner to 11/17/11.
2. MDC Hearing Examiner 10/13/11 – A developer proposes a gigantic car and truck gas station immediately to the southeast of the I-70 West/Missouri exit downtown. Staff recommends denial but the case was continued to 11/10/11.
3. MDC Hearing Examiner 10/13/11 – A developer requests rezoning of property at 6334 Westfield Blvd for office and retail reuse. The site is bounded by the Monon Trail on the west and the Central Canal on the south and the developer also requests a variance for zero parking spaces. This case was approved by the MDC Hearing Examiner and will get a final hearing by the MDC on 11/2/11.
4. MDC Hearing Examiner 10/13/11 – Yet another apartment complex is proposed for the Martindale-Brightwood Neighborhood. This project, to be called Newport on the Monon, is planned for 1902 Alvord St., the east side of the Monon Trail between 19th and 20th Streets. The project consists of 60 apartments in two 3-story buildings and one 4-story building. 60 total parking spaces would be provided in a 48 space parking lot and 12 garages. The case was approved by the MDC Hearing Examiner and will get a final hearing by the MDC on 11/2/11.
5. Board of Zoning Appeals 10/11/11 – The petitioner seeks a temporary variance (through 2014) to allow an “Assembly Event Center” in a former industrial space (551 W Merrill St) near Lucas Oil Stadium. The staff report notes the obvious: the petitioner wants to rent the space for big events, including the 2012 Super Bowl in February. The case was approved.
6. MDC Hearing Examiner 10/27/11 – As previously reported, local developer Milhaus has proposed a new retail/residential project on the site of the former BMV branch at 531 Virginia. The staff report now includes a siteplan and a rendering is available from Milhaus’s blog (their Think Mixed Use blog is required reading to get the developer perspective on building mixed use projects today). Staff recommends approval.
7. MDC Hearing Examiner 10/27/11 and Regional Center Hearing Examiner 10/27/11 – As previously reported, the redevelopment of the Solotken Building at 101 S Harding is back on the docket. The staff report for the Regional Center Hearing Examiner case includes the following siteplan. Staff recommends approval of both cases.
Note: â€œMDC and IHPC Quick Hitsâ€ is not comprehensive coverage of all cases before the Metropolitan Development Commission and Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission. If we missed a noteworthy case in a recent filing, let everybody know in the comments section.
See the previous Quick Hits here.