The long-delayed remodeling project in the City Market was finally completed a few months ago, and the old Market building is filling with vendors. It’s nice to see some life back in the old building, and word is that they will work on remodeling the East wing soon. There is a slew of new vendors eagerly anticipating their next customer. Here’s a list:
- Constantino’s. The most ambitious new tenant takes a decent-sized chunk of the western half of the market. Their sandwiches and salads have proven to be a hit; however, I wish they would have gone the Goose route and eschewed out-of-season items.
- Lucia’s Italian Restaurant. It’s a decent step up from Enzo’s.
- Herb and Tea. This place is a fine source of loose leaf teas. Pour yourself a prepared cup of tea and bliss out the rest of the day (make sure you pay the friendly attendant first, though).
- Geri’s Fudge. I haven’t tried the fudge, but their lemon and chocolate cakes are pretty tasty. Hate the individual wrapping, though.
- Moody Meats. I brought one of their shish kabobs to a tailgate. It was excellent. They also have Trader’s Point products.
There are several other new specialty shops as well. I’m concerned that there is not enough foot traffic to support many of these places. However, I have noticed a decent uptick in purveyors of quality merchandise. I’m hopeful that the proposed bakery and Indian food stand will continue this trend.